Chicago Two-Part Semi-Advanced Mink Workshop ($500 total)
Chicago Two-Part Semi-Advanced Mink Workshop ($500 total)
Learn how to mount your very own mink to create a beautiful piece of taxidermy! Sign up for an advanced-technique mink taxidermy workshop with absolutely no prior experience necessary — learn about skinning, fleshing, and cleaning your mink on your first class day. We will discuss tanning techniques and I will tan your hides for you. The following weekend, we will mount and finish your mink for display. These classes are limited to only five students. The next mink taxidermy workshop is taking place on Saturday, June 23rd and Saturday, June 30th from noon to around 4 pm each day. If these dates absolutely don’t work for you, please contact me regarding private lessons. Read more below!
This listing is for a DEPOSIT. Here is the payment schedule:
You can make a deposit for your first day now ($125) and that will hold your spot for both workshops.
You must make your second day deposit ($125) between the time of your first deposit and the first day of class.
On the first day of class, $125 in cash will be due.
On the second day of class, your final $125 will be due. I apologize if this payment schedule is confusing to anyone. I tried to break it down to make it easier for folks to afford over time.
If you would like to pay in full now, at any point after making your deposit, or create an entirely different payment plan from what’s here, please email email@example.com for a digital invoice.
The first three images are of mink in the wild, each watermarked by the respective photographer. The rest of the images are photos of the actual mink we will be working with for this project.
What will students learn?
On your first day, you will be provided with a thawed, previously frozen male black American mink! You will learn about skinning, fleshing, and cleaning the hide. We'll talk about tanning, which takes place over the course of a week. When you return for your second session we'll cover splitting and turning, using commercial forms, inserting lead earliners, finishing work, and you will be given a PDF guide to the entire process for future projects.
About the class:
All specimens are sustainably sourced. I have a personal relationship with a licensed breeder and trapper in the far north of Minnesota. Occasionally his breeding males become too aggressive and must be humanely euthanized using CO2. Workshops are taught by award-winning licensed taxidermist Mickey Alice Kwapis.
What do students leave with?
Each student will leave with a finished pinned mink mount ready for drying and will be emailed a PDF guide on the process for future reference.
What is the cost?
Tuition is $500 total, which includes instruction, supplies, and a specimen to keep as well as aftercare instructions and a PDF guide to the process.
This class will be taking place at my private home in the Logan Square neighborhood Chicago, accessible by the Fullerton bus. Ample street parking is available free of charge. The week prior to the class date, the address and any other pertinent information will be emailed to the address you provide. The class will last approximately four hours each day.
All ages are welcome to participate in these classes. Students under twelve must be accompanied by a calm adult that can assist where needed. Students with special needs are also welcome - just let me know beforehand if you are signing a minor up for the class and/or if special accommodations are required.
To sign up and reserve your spot, please follow these instructions:
- Add your desired class to your cart.
- Fill out the form that pops up. You will need to provide a name, email address, and phone number.
- Each student needs to have a separate form filled out. If you are giving a ticket to the class as a gift, please provide the student’s information rather that your own.
- When you are finished adding the desired tickets to your cart, proceed to checkout and pay your first deposit fee of $125 per ticket. Your registration is not complete and your spot is not reserved until you have submitted payment.
- You will be sent a reminder before your first session to pay your second deposit of $125, which can be done through this page.
- You will be sent an email before your first session with information on location, what to wear, and a reminder to bring $125 in cash to your first class.
- You will be expected to remember to bring $125 to your second session. You can also pay the full $250 in cash on the day of your first class instead, if you wish.
Terms and conditions:
Tuition is absolutely nonrefundable unless the class gets cancelled by the teacher.
- If you miss your first class and contact me before class commences, I will prepare and tan the mink for you so you can catch up in your second session.
- If you do a no-call, no-show your mink will be placed back in the freezer and you completely forfeit your tuition.
- If you attend the first class but decide not to participate in your second session, I will finish your mink for you. You will be offered the option to purchase it for the remaining amount that you owe.
- If you decline this offer or do not respond in seven days, I will offer the finished mount for sale in my online shop to recoup my loss of your tuition money.
If you make a payment but find you can no longer attend the class, you may forfeit your payment or transfer it to another person if you desire. Reasonable accommodations will be made for conflicting plans if I'm notified ahead of time, as well as in the case of last-minute medical emergencies, funerals, etc. Please notify me of any transfers or ask any questions you may have by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Late arrivals to class (more than ten minutes) are not permitted.